babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Update Overload

I update the blog with everything that has happened this month that I was a slacker at. So you will have to click 'older posts' to view everything.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Allergy: Egg or Egg White?

I have always suspected that Cynthia might have an allergy to eggs, just like her Daddy and Uncle. So that made me a little scared to let her have the flu shot. When I was pregnant I felt as though Cynthia would only arrive into our lives sometime in February and not when she was due - January 29. January 19 Ben made me a wonderful bacon and egg breakfast - the first egg that I had eaten while being pregnant. I was sick that whole weekend. That egg did not settle well in my tummy and a few days later my water breaks and Cynthia arrives. At her last appointment she had her first flu shot. The nurse, doctor and Ben assured me that the first exposure to something that might be an allergy was minor. So I agreed to the flu shot. She had this huge, nasty bruise on her leg for weeks after the shot. We never thought about connecting it to the shot at all. Then last night we fed her something new. Garden veggies with whole grain pasta. She was easting it like a pro, then Ben noticed a rash like redness starting in the corner of her mouth, he asked if it had been there before feeding. It hadn't. It slowly spread around the bottom lip. I read the ingredient label and the last two words on the list: Egg White. We washed her mouth off, gave her some fruit that she loves and a graham cracker, along with some Motrin, to try and help dilute the egg white in her tummy and stop an allergic reaction. So my question is, can Cynthia have an egg white allergy or does that just fall under the category of egg?

She woke up this morning with her little round rash like red spot but it slowly went away throughout the day.

This picture does not show you her red mouth very well, but if you look at the bottom of her lip on the right side, you will notice a round red spot.

2 Comments:

mumovearls said...

Oh no! poor baby!-n

Linda said...

Well yes - if you are allergic to eggs any egg or part of egg is fair game - and watch out for strange things like chicken and fish - female fowl and fish carry eggs in them and in severe allergic cases even that meat will cause symptoms. BTW if she is having a reaction of any kind a liquid antihistamine (like Benydryl)will help to alleviate symptoms. Be cautious about its strength and the dosage - baby not adult - Benydryl can make them really sleepy if the dosage is too much. Remember that allergies are dynamic and symptoms change and can show up even 48-72 hours later so keep a log or journal of what happens, when and what you do. Later it will be important info if she has any serious reactions or problems. L Mmm